Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Going Green to Save Green, Part Deux


Part two of homemade, natural cleaners. I also wanted to add that I don't use paper towels while cleaning, we do still keep some in the house, but a roll lasts FOREVER because they just don't get used. If you go to Family Dollar you can get a 30 pack of washcloths for $5. This is what I usually use and just wash my cleaning rags once a week and cycle through them. Also microfiber cloths are amazing for cleaning anything, you can get 3 packs of them in the automotive section, or even thinner ones at the dollar store!

Dishwasher Detergent- there are tons of recipes for this on the net, what I have been using is 1 tablespoon of borax, and 1 tablespoon of baking soda. Now most recipes call for citric acid, or like a tablespoon of lemon juice. I currently have neither, it WOULD make the recipe work better using it, and I intend to when it's time to go shopping. But in the meantime, the two ingredients are working. Depending on whether or not you have hard or soft water, this recipe may have to be tweaked to work for you.

Rinse Aid- White Vinegar! Yep just pour into the container where you would normally put Jet Dry.

Glass, Window, Mirror Cleaner- Wait for it.... White Vinegar! I just pour some into a spray bottle and clean with a microfiber cloth. My mirrors have never been cleaner!

I will be updating more periodically, my next cleaner to tackle is laundry detergent. I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment