Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Co-Sleeping

When I first had Roman, we by definition co-slept with him. He slept in his bassinet portion of the PNP shoved next to my side of the bed, for easy midnight feedings. He actually was a pretty great sleeper and didn't wake that often to nurse. Then when I started working again, and he began the battle with the bottle, his night wakings increased... by a lot. Roman had begun to reverse cycle, meaning since he was refusing feedings while I was away he made up for them at night.

So I brought him in bed with me and would nurse side-lying and we both slept wonderfully! I felt like I needed that re-connection with him after being away from him while at work. Eventually he started taking bottles better and stopped reverse cycling, but he stayed in our family bed.

It's the sweetest thing in the world to open my eyes and look over and see his tiny face fast asleep, with his sweet baby breath breathing on me. Ahhhh Love..

Roman spent 9 months growing in my belly, the thought of him spending all that time feeling warmth and love and then making him sleep alone in another room... I couldn't do it. Eventually he'll sleep in his own room and crib/bed at night, but it will be on his terms and we'll make the transition as easy as possible. Babies have been sleeping with their mamas for thousands of years in order for them to survive, and hey, who am I to argue with nature?

I found this blog to be extremely insightful.

No comments:

Post a Comment